Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

Busy as a Bee

Sorry for the long absence again, since I've been simultaneously busy and lazy haha. Starting from July onwards, I'll be embracing a new life as a college student studying for his A-levels. Everything will be a new experience for me; a new living space in the dormitory, new friends, new knowledge to gain, etc. I'll be busy packing stuff and getting ready for college soon, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to blog in college again. Hopefully this isn't the end of it haha.

But the bees have been far busier than I am (and far more consistent too). They are great to have around as they pollinate my plants, ensuring the production of fruits and seeds in my plants.

Water lilies (Nymphaea sp.) are bee magnets. They never fail to capture the attention of these busy bees. This black bee appears to be a stingless bee, perhaps Heterotrigona itama, as IDed by a beekeeper friend.



This bee appears to be of the Ceratina genus, often known as the Small Carpenter Bee. It has nice yellow markings on its face.



2 bees using the same flower as a source of nectar. I'll never run out of water lily seeds as long as the bees keep visiting.


My Damask rose is also pretty attractive to the bees, and to me as well. The bees hover from one fragrant flower to another, collecting sweet nectar and pollen. However, I'm not sure of this bee species though.







8 comments:

  1. I do hope you can continue to blog whilst studying Aaron. I would miss your magnificent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your waterlilies and bees photos. The presence of fauna activities give an added purpose to the existence of flowers beside being visual candies. Study well at college and enjoy yourself too! Find some time to blog. Your plants will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very good young man Aaron, very diligent in whatever you will be taking. I am sure you will succeed in whatever you intend to do. What is your course in College? I hope you still remember us when you become a successful professional. My prayers are with you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sue Doherty

    Thanks. I hope so too.

    @Stiletto

    Thank you! Flowers were made with the intention of pollination by fauna, so having bees certainly is great. I'll try my best in college, and will miss my plants terribly too haha.

    @Andrea

    Thanks a lot! I'm taking A-levels. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good shots of the bees, Aaron! And your water lilies have very attractive colours. Love them and also the roses. They look so sweet. Hey you know what, I think you would enjoy your college a lot. You can have some freedom ;-) But of course you have to manage time. I am sure you will do well in your studies. Keep up the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Stephanie

    Thanks! College will be fun and challenging haha, having to balance academics, co-curricular activities and social life too. I hope I can cope with it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to let you know, my hibiscus leaves turned yellow as well. You have a great day!

      Delete
  7. Aaron, Congratulations on the next chapter of your life after passing your exams with flying colours. I'm sure there's a big bunch of gardening friends awaiting your arrival in the Klang Valley, hehe ;-)

    ReplyDelete