Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Surprises

Now that I'm on holiday for a week, I get to spend more time at home and in my garden. After a tiresome day of reading, studying, and web browsing, a stroll in the garden is a wonderful remedy for a throbbing headache. Maybe it's the pleasant colour of green, or the abundance of essential oxygen, but either way, it's still a great place to relax and clear the mind.

Recently, I've bought a few more plants for my roof garden, and there were also a few pleasant surprises which definitely lightened up my day.


My roof garden, still in the process of weeding and rearranging some plants. It's a real improvement since I first started it months ago.





















Just got these two hoya vines, probably H. carnosa (white) and H. pubicalyx (maroon). I love the clusters of small star-shaped flowers.







I've also got a new purple vanda orchid, a white gerbera and two dianthus. Hopefully they'll thrive here and fill my garden with lovely blossoms.


Finally, after almost a year of rest, my medinilla decided to send out not one, but three inflorescence. Maybe moving it to my roof garden, where it's more humid, sunny and have a higher temperature drop at night triggered the blooming. Anyway, I'm glad it finally flowered again.



And this uninvited guest to my garden surely surprised me. Luckily I noticed it before I drenched it with water. I think this is an Oriental Bay Owl (Phodilus badius), a nocturnal owl native to Southeast Asia. It was around 6 pm when I saw it, so maybe it just woke up. I think it's adorable, staring at me as I watered the garden.

Until next time!

8 comments:

  1. Have been following your blog for a while now. like reading your posts and like your terrace garden too. And the Owl yeah, a bonus...!! Very adoring and encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your roof garden is really really cool. I want one of those:) But the bigger shot?? The owl!!! What a fantastic find! I've never seen one of those before. Very very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aarti Wong

    Thanks for reading my blog. Yah, the owl is such a cute little critter.

    @Rohrerbot

    Thanks. The roof garden is hard to maintain, but rewarding when you see various plants bloom and flourish. This is the first time I've seen an owl too, and it's really exhilarating to finally see one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roof garden is great. It has so many plants compared to mine. I've never had an owl coming to visit my garden. This speaks a lot about your lovely garden. The owl is so different from the one that we are familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is truly a beautiful Hoya plant you had purchased.
    And its really lovely to have a cute little owl in your garden.
    Pretty sure it would have been guarding all the plants from rodents and reptiles invading your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Aaron! Call it lucky or not but I am sure not everyone has the opportunity to see an owl that way and snap a good shot like you did. And you read a lot about birds? I am amazed that you can even identify it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great moment in the garden. I had a similar experience this week when visiting the garden of a friend in the country and saw hummingbirds several times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. isn't it so amazing having an adorable wildlife in our garden right... me myself now have nest with two eggs in my hanging orchid pot...

    ReplyDelete