Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Heatwave

It's been extremely hot around these parts for almost a week now, with no rain at all. I've been feeling really tired in this heat, especially with sleep deprivation (can't sleep, piano exams too close for comfort). Anyway, I still have some free time to care for my plants, especially now with all this heat. I have to water and mist them daily to prevent the more delicate and carnivorous plants from dying.






Some nepenthes growing nicely. They mostly love the heat and sun (for the lowlanders anyway), yet supplemented by constant watering and misting. (Clockwise from left: N. x dyeriana, N. mirabilis var. globosa, N. x gentle)


My carnivorous mini-bog has been doing quite well and has overgrown rapidly since I first made it (which was months ago). I should probably trim them and separate the offshoots and plantlets. One of my Venus Flytrap has gone into dormancy though (which is a risky situation here in the tropics since we don't have the 4 seasons.)



My vines are also making the most out of this heat, provided that the water supply is sufficient. The scarlet passion flower (passiflora coccinea) has gone into a blooming spree after a long time as just leaves. The mandevilla is also producing lots of flower now. I'm not sure whether the Madagascar periwinkle is a true vine, but mine sure does acts like one. It's so free-flowering, I'm tempted to buy more. My variegated bleeding heart vine is also starting to send out blossoms.

Also, I've recently been nominated for the Versatile Blogger award by both Bernie from Bush Bernie's Blog and James Missier from Gardening Chronicles. Bernie is an experienced gardener with an extremely variant collection of plants in her beautiful garden. James is quite the knowledgeable fellow in gardening, and is a good source of information regarding tropical plants. Thanks, both of you!


Here are the rules upon accepting The Versatile Blogger award:
  1. Thank the person who gave you the award.
  2. Include a link to their blog.
  3. Select 15 bloggers that you follow or have just discovered who you would consider fit the bill of a 'versatile' blogger.
  4. Tell 7 random facts about yourself.
  5. Include this set of rules in your post.
  6. Inform each of your nominated bloggers of their nomination.
15 is a difficult number for me, since I can't really maintain a large number of blogs to follow, with my busy schedule and all. I guess I'll just make it 8 then. Also, some blogs may have already been nominated, but I don't really have much choice to select from haha.

1. Andrea/Kalantikan from Pure Oxygen Generators and Andrea in this Lifetime. She's an incredibly informative blogger, especially regarding tropical plants and nature.

2. Autumn Belle from My Nice Garden. She's an extremely versatile gardener, and her blog is very entertaining to read. She's very passionate in her hobby of gardening.

3. Bangchik and Kakdah from My little vegetable garden. Their blog is very informative regarding tropical vegetable, fruits and herbs and their gardening methods.

4. Lotusleaf from gardentropics and Indian Flowers and Herbs. Her blog is a wonderful source of knowledge on tropical and exotic plants.

5. Orkid La from Orkidla. Orchids are his specialty, and his blog is filled to the brim with marvelous photos of them.

6. Rohrerbot from Las Adventuras. His blog is very informative regarding flora and fauna, particularly those from 

7. Becca from A Southern Garden by Becca. I enjoy reading about her garden and the various plants she grows.

8. Noel from A Plant Fanatic in Hawaii. His blog is always a fun read, and a very good source of information regarding tropical plants of Hawaii.

7 random facts about me:

1. I'm currently preparing for both SPM (a major and very important exam in my country's education system) and Grade 8 piano exams (I'm not really confident this time since I lack time to practice. Maybe I'll try again next year if I fail).

2. I enjoy making and animating 3D models, as well as papercraft (building 3d models from paper), but I'm currently sacrificing these hobbies to prepare for my exams.

3. I enjoy art, so I'm taking Visual Arts as a subject and is currently completing the compulsory assignment (in which I chose carnivorous plants as an inspiration).

4. I love playing video games and browsing the web like any other teenager. 

5. Plants, gardening and botany has always been my interest since I was still a child in primary school, and I hope to further my studies in plant-related fields such as agricultural science or plant biotechnology.

6. I love to please people and set a good impression. Unfortunately, this causes me to fear other people being disappointed in me. This is one of the factors contributing to my stress as my teachers and parents have high hopes and I fear of not meeting them.

7. I have the bad habit of studying at the last minute. I can procrastinate until a few days before the exams, and then burn the midnight oil until 2-3 am in the morning. So far, my results are OK but I really need to change this attitude of mine before the final exam on December.

Until next time!

8 comments:

  1. You're doing great Aaron! Take some time to please yourself. Good luck with the exams and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take some time. I know I know. You are a student and that's what you do, but your garden is telling you to take more time and enjoy life:) Good luck with you piano exams. I'm dealing with the heat here in Tucson as well. I go out early morning or late evening to get the projects done to avoid exhaustion. Hang in there and thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the award! It's nice to read about myself from your point of view ^_^

    Good luck in your piano and SPM exams! Hope you can relax more and not be so pressured by these. The weather is very hot in my area too. In fact we are hating the haze but luckily it rained this morning which makes it more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post is ready, the link is here:

      http://www.mynicegarden.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award-on-my-3rd-blog.html

      Delete
  4. Aaron, thanks for the award. I was so touched by it, as I have students of your age. I am sure you will do well in your piano exams too. The weather is very dry here too. I am glad to see your plants doing so well!Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly admire your energy and versatility; academic exams, piano exams, games and maintaining a lush garden. Best of luck in all your endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are attending really good classes and have good hobbies. I must say that you are one extra-ordinary person. Keep up the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Barry Parker

    Thanks!

    @Rohrerbot

    Yah, a student's life can be so tiresome, but I try my best to handle it.

    @Autumn Belle

    Thanks. The haze must be quite a problem. Hope it fades off quickly.

    @lotusleaf

    Thanks too. This heat and dry spell seems so universal. Don't think I can handle it anymore haha.

    @Stiletto

    Thank you. I try my best to balance stuff out, but sometimes things are overwhelming.

    @Stephanie

    Thanks! I don't think I'm extraordinary though, just weird haha.

    ReplyDelete