Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Contrast

My current examinations have finally ended and a one week break has started (just what I needed). Though I still have my art project and some competitions, I hope to be able to spend some relaxing time and releasing stress in the garden and through blogging.

Sometimes one just have to appreciate the little details and niceties found all around us. A walk through the garden can be an interesting experience if one looks carefully enough. The many different colours, textures and patterns of nature all around us can produce a harmonious effect and an aesthetically-pleasing sight. This is especially evident in foliage plants through the the variegation of leaves, but some flowers exhibit fantastic patterns too with contrasting colours.

The intriguing shape and arrangement of tillandsia leaves have always gave me the impression of exotic bromeliads from the steamy tropical jungles. The blooms are often very bright and clear as the colours contrast drastically with the leaves. Here is my Tillandsia funckiana in the process of flowering. Notice the bright red buds against the pale greyish-green leaves?




This is not an everyday occurrence as my white hibiscus has produced a pink blossom! I'm not sure whether it's a dormant grafted branch that suddenly turned active or a weird mutation in the pigmentation of the flowers, but it's certainly gorgeous when the pink contrasts against the other white blossoms. There's some white pigment on the exterior side of the petals though, and it has the same dark red center, so I think it's a mutation, but can it mutate so drastically?




One of the hardiest and easiest plants in my garden, the angelonias are ever-blooming with their cluster of indigo blossoms. Angelonia always seems to be covered in powder or pollen as you can see from the photo. 




I just love the sight of aristolochia. I think the heart-shaped leaves are cute, but the flowers are certainly a sight to behold! It's obvious how it got its common name, Dutchman's Pipe. Though I'm sure you certainly don't want the flower anywhere near you face as the scent somehow reminds me of dirty socks. I love the interior of the petals which are covered in countless fine hairs, looking so fuzzy! The rich maroon veins on the flower petals are also quite unique.




And last but not least are the foliage plants. Variegation produces such interesting patterns on otherwise dull green leaves. This produce great contrast between the green and white pigments, and therefore produce aesthetically spectacular results. And the patterns are also not constant and fixed, but always vary from leaf to leaf, so each leaf is unique and special. 







4 comments:

  1. I think your tillandsia is very unique and special. I wonder how the flowers look like. Do post them after they open. Your hibiscus with 'changed personality' reminds me of roses sold without thorns that later suddenly grow thorns. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll take some photos later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pipe is awesome!! But smelly? oppps... thanks for taking the photo to share hehe... Have a great week Aaron :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steph! Yah, smelly pipe hehe.

    ReplyDelete