Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Mighty Minds Disappointing Aftermath and a Trip To Sungai Buloh and 1 Utama!

Well, even though we didn't win, it was a valuable experience. And I don't think getting No. 7 out of 14 teams is terrible. Maybe I'll work harder and try again next year.

We were having a delicious dinner at RHB Bank Headquarters

Arjun (right) and Haziq (left)
















Haziq (right) and me (left)
















After the disappointing results, we were somehow relieved since we had lots of free time for shopping!! But I slept early and went to Sungai Buloh the next day.

Some begonias from Sungai Buloh.







































White mandevilla




















A nice anthurium




















A beautiful Morning Glory




















And then we went to the Secret Garden of 1 Utama.





























































My brother and I at the Secret Garden
















Calathea
















Abutilon
















My mom and my brother, Jordan, with a Rangoon Creeper.




















Some lovely yellow flowering vine.




















Many other shrubs and flowers.
















Ginger!




















Yellow flag.




















An Aristolochia. I wonder when mine will flower?




















Canna




















Cute bottle gourds!!




















Then we went to the rainforest of 1 Utama.
















Mom, Dad and Jordan 































And we witness the beautiful gigantic waterlily, Victoria amazonica
















Hahaha my awkward face.
















Then we returned home, somehow disappointed yet happy and satisfied.

18 comments:

  1. Disappointed for not winning but happy to be one of the finalist, right? Looks like you had a lot of fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, making it to the National Challenge is already a proud achievement, since my school never even win the state challenge before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which school are you from? Montfort Boys' School?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SK Montfort was my primary school. Now I study in High School Batu Pahat (SMK Tinggi Batu Pahat).

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, 7 out of 14 is definitely not bad when the 14 teams are already the best and brightest in the nation. Great job! And how lucky that you got to visit those magical gardens! Enjoyed seeing photos of your family. Looks like you all had a great time! I love those giant Amazon water lilies myself, and just did a post on them myself last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Aaron. So glad to meet your family. Love the pics of you with your brother and mother. Good to see them and you look like your father. Love those gardens. So many pretties hanging around. Awesome begonias and canna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos of your lovely family Aaron!

    I love your begonias! I have the same in my current post ha ha... delightful surprise. I was looking for a yellow one like yours but didn't find it when I was at Sg last month. Got a red one instead. And, that pink anthurium is really nice. I like the rest of your selection as well. You can forget about the aftermath now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a nice time with the family and that's what is most important....it's about the journey and not always about the results:) So I have a question....how are you so young and knowledgable about plants? I wish, at your age, I knew the amount of information you did about plants....keep it up. I would be shocked to find any of my high school students with the knowledge you possess on plants. Do you ever think that you will do anything in the landscaping field down the road?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Floridagirl

    Thanks. That competition was really tough. I wish to grow Amazon waterlilies too, but then I'll have to dig up my car park.

    @Becca

    Thanks too. Hahaha yah, many people say I resemble my dad.

    @Stephanie

    Hahaha coincidence? The plants are enough to cheer me up and forget about the competition. We can always try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @rohrerbot

    Thanks. Yah, it's not always the results that matter. We really did have a fun time! Regarding your question, I really don't know. I just love plants and enjoy researching about them. Not sure which path I'll choose later in life but I hope it's biology and botany.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaron, well done! I think you and your team has done a great job. Entering the finals is no mean feat and that itself is an achievement. You have a good selection of new plants. So nice to get to see your family for the first time. I'm sure you have enjoyed your visit to the Secret Garden. BTW, the flowering vine is Petraeovitex wolfei vine which is native to our Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a finalist is itself a great achievement, Aaron. You may win the trophy next time! All the flowers are pretty, but I liked the white mandevillea the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Autumn Belle

    Thanks a lot. Yah, it's already a great achievement by entering the National Challenge. The Secret Garden was really beautiful, too bad Dr. Francis wasn't there. And thanks for the ID. That vine is pretty!

    @lotusleaf

    Thanks too. Yah, maybe next time. Mandevillas are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastyczne zdjęcia bardzo mi się podobają.
    Piękne rośliny w pięknym miejscu.
    Powodzenia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Aaron on getting as far as you did in the competition. Lovely photos too to remind you of your trip and nice to see some photos of your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waterlily... so flat and big, I am sure frogs can enjoy romantic moments on it... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  17. @krzysiek86

    Thanks.

    @leavesnbloom

    Thanks too! It was a fun trip!

    @Bangchik

    Yah, such a huge waterlily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Aaron, you have won half of the battle by being in the final! Give yourself a pat on the back!

    Tsk..tsk...although I live in Klang Valley, I haven't even being to the Secret Garden in OneUtama. Mmm..shame on me. Must check it out on one of this weekend.

    ReplyDelete