Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Ridiculously Rare Plants in my Neighbourhood

Sometimes I wonder, why don't people ever grow these plants when they are very suited to the local climate. Beautiful yet hardy plants seem to be missing in my neighbourhood. Every house has like the same plant such as adenium, bougainvillea, hibiscus, orchid, and boring foliages.

Here are some of the beautiful yet rarely grown plants that should be in the neighbourhood.

Come on. Mandevilla just need bright light, plenty of water and something to climb and it's beautiful!
















The same goes to passion flowers. I've never ever seen passion flowers except the fruiting varieties (and only in 2 houses) in my whole town. They are beautiful, vigorous, and hardy.
















Water plants tend to be unappreciated too, except the sacred lotus. Look at these gorgeous waterlilies. They are seldom grown here at all.




















This species is an impressively rare plant here. I've only seen it in a nursery in Kluang. No other place has this red water lily.

















Suprisingly, anthuriums are so rarely grown here that I have yet to see a house with one. My teacher brought 2 to school though for the Botany Club.







And instead of the boring old anthuriums, nurseries should try to find unique species.




















Roses are also heat tolerable and beautiful. I wonder why everyone thinks that roses will die rapidly in the lowlands.






















































At least tillandsia is gaining popularity now. They have such unique and exotic leaves.































Nepenthes have a reputation of dying easily too, which is completely false. With proper care, they are rewarding and easy to grow.




















They come in all shapes, colours and sizes too!




















This special 'black' variety of N. albomarginata is beautiful. I love the purple-grey colour and the white stripe beneath the lips.




















Dianthus and cosmos too are suprisingly rare since they grow well in this climate.
















22 comments:

  1. Tillandsia is really exotic. It is like some neat ribbons people put on a present. ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dianthus. Such a pretty color. Love that water lily and the passion flower. Hope you have a great weekend. How's school going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today you are showing blooms in many colours and I love all of them. Flowers bring so much happiness to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're growing some tillandsias! Maybe eventually you'll find some other broms too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers. I would love to grow mandevilla, but can't obtain one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @bangchik

    Thanks! Yah, it does look like a ribbon.

    @Becca

    Thanks too! School is going just nice.

    @Autumn Belle

    Thanks!! Flowers make me happy too.

    @Rainforest Gardener

    Yah. Will try to find some bromeliads.

    @lotusleaf

    Thanks. Mandevilla is just introduced to local nurseries here. Don't lose hope, maybe one day a nurseryman will import them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rare plants. They really should be grown more there since they love your climate. My favorite has to be your pitcher plants. Amazing! I'd have one myself if I ever saw one for sale. Love your passion flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha... I really hope many will just pick up gardening. Not just for foliage and flowers but to 'green' the environment that we live in.

    It's wonderful to see you so passionate in gardening. Way to go Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right ... it's the same in my part of Oz. People stick with the same, rather boring, plants and miss out on the opportunity to grow so many more interesting ones.

    The Mandevilla is turning up in some gardens here now ... I have a lovely white one! Pitcher plants are now also appearing in the nurseries here and are proving quite popular. It's such a shame gardens in your area don't have more of the plants you've featured in your post today ... such great variety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Stephanie

    Thanks. Hope more people will start gardening.

    @Bernie

    Yah, so many unique and exotic species are unappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame that many people opt for what's easy to grow. But that's living in a city where time for leisure is constantly shrinking. It is also a shame even though we are blessed with sunshine all year long; no frost and no scorching heat, we limit ourselves to boring foliages instead of painting some wonderful colors that nature has to offer in our gardens. And when most of us choose boring foliages, nurseries see no demand for flowering and exotic varieties... and that's a dreadful cycle. Thanks for posting this, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess you have researched what's been planted around your neighbourhood. I guess people like to play safe in their gardening and most likely something is common is considered safe to start with first.

    I had done away with plants which my neighbours tend - prefer to have the uniqueness in my garden. Atleast something interesting to look at compared the same old boring green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Rough.Rosa

    Totally true. My fellow nursery owners don't even know what's a passion flower =.=

    @James Missier

    Playing safe is good, but trying something else is fun. Bougainvillea and hibiscus are too common nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaron, I love your list! I agree with your view. Why does everyone want to look the same? I especially love the Nepenthes...it's on my wish list and hope to get one for my birthday this year. Love your tillandsias too!! I place them everywhere in my yard and am constantly on the lookout for unusual varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Mandeville, but sadly it is only an annual in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Kimberly

    Thanks. Love nepenthes and tillandsias too.

    @Meredehuit

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm quite shocked that folks don't grow what I would call exotics. Your garden must really stand out from the rest. Mandevilla which we call Dipladenia here in the UK are such pretty climbers and if I could grow these outside I would and there are so many pretty passionflowers to choose from these days........ you go and inspire them Aaron with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow those are interesting and exotic flowers! The Mandevilla is beautiful, I wish I can grow Tropical in our mountain climate! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That tillandsia looks so cool! I havent seen any here in Mumbai. The anthurium, though, I grow plenty of them! The second one is usually called the 'pig-tail anthurium' and prefers cooler climates than the anthurium andreanum in the first pic.
    I'm sorry to say that my pitcher plant died too so I'll probably join those who say it dies easily. Unless I come to you for lessons on growing it!

    ReplyDelete