Search This Blog

Aaron's Gardening Blog

My Papercraft Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Hot, the Loud, and the Proud #2!

My second hot, loud and proud post! Check the other hot, loud and proud posts in A Plant Fanatic In Hawaii.

HOT

To me, hot will always mean burning red and vibrant orange. Combined with large and dark foliage, they give us a tropical impression. So, prepare to get burnt!

An ixora, but this is the large variety, unlike those dwarf ones found so commonly here. The red needle-like flowers are truly stunning and gorgeous. The leaves of this variety is attractive too.
















































Heliconias, especially those with hanging flowers, are attractive. The red and yellow combination contrasts with those banana-like leaves for a true tropical feel.
















































Tillandsia, or Air Plants, have such unusual leaves and form that they look exotic even without flowers. Once the flower blooms, it's going to be a real attention magnet.
















































Now for the LOUD

Nepenthes have such interesting growth on the tips of their tendrils. The ones with the most vibrant and large pitcher will scream for attention.

N. rafflesiana 'Kondo var Alata'
















































Flowers with an interesting or contrasting colour combination will always catch my eye. The red markings in the middle part of this hibiscus against its pure white petals delights me! The long stigma also gives the flower an interesting shape.







































And there's this blackish-red anthurium. The blacish-red bracts contrasts with those yellow inflorescence, giving them a 'loud' feel.
















































Ok, now for those PROUD jewels.


A rose by any other name, smells just as sweet. What other flowers are so beloved and appreciated, especially during Valentines!

























Roses have been loved since centuries ago! Though their thorns are sharp, their gorgeous flowers make up for it.

The optimist sees the rose and not it thorns. The pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose.

























These miniature roses are so cute!

















Rose-like flowers steal the spotlight too. Love these Tulip Gentians!
















































Now, wasn't that a long post? Hope those pretties managed to impress you!

16 comments:

  1. Very impressive indeed Aaron! I like all your choices. They are really unique.

    Your air plant flower is interesting. I like it!

    Your roses look fantastic. I can see you have taken good care of them.

    Now I am thinking what plants you are going to buy later. These plants that you have are already very pretty!

    Have a great weekend or happy shopping for plants? he he...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! Maybe I'm going to buy more roses (or any flowers that catch my eye!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aloha,


    those are some beautiful flowers, i love the larger ixoras, they remind me of beautiful fireworks about to explode, the gentians are also very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was definitely impressed! Wow! What an awesome plant collection! Lobster claws are always stunning, but oh, how I want one of those pitcher plants. I will now have to search one out! What an awesome plant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Floridagirl

    Thanks. Hope you get to find a tropical pitcher plant. They sure are exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your Tillandsia and Tulip Gentians. In fact all your choices are great. Now, I'd really like to go on a nursery shopping spree too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one big ixora bloom! Why have I not seen that one before? I have that same tillandsia (stricta i think) and its just now growing its flower spike. I can't wait til mine looks like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! The ixora was recently spotted by my dad so we bought it immediately. It was worth it since this is the 1st time I've seen such a huge bloom too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowering plants look so pretty! I like your air plant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful plants I would find almost impossible to grow up here in Canada. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! Well I love temperate plants more but can't grow them here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Aaron,
    Hope you can help me identify the name of this flower from the Philippines. Have a look at this link.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojoez/5945928356/in/set-72157626920715066/

    Would appreciate if you could give me the scientific name too.

    Cheers
    Jojo

    ReplyDelete
  13. @manspnaz

    It's a lantana. I don't know what it's called in the Philippines though.

    ReplyDelete